The Challenge: An organization realized their focus and workflow did not benefit partners anymore. The team wanted to offer more contextual, technologically savvy solutions to partners in increasingly multicultural contexts. 
Innovation process: We completed a rigorous research process that included qualitative data collection with stakeholders, triangulation, and writing insight statements. We completed solution ideation, prototyping, and testing with stakeholders, iteratively refining solutions.  
Deliverables: A guiding principles document to define and guide a new team identity, a revived partnership workflow, and an implementation plan moving these solutions forward. Furthermore, the team showed growth in ability to apply Design Thinking and empathy in all future projects. 
Outcome: The team adopted their new identity, expanded their partnership base, and grew in size within a year.